Chief’s COVID-19 Message
Usually this time of year, we remind everyone about spring cleaning, changing your smoke alarm batteries, outdoor grilling safety, check your furnace filter, and cleaning dryer vents. But, unfortunately, I need to share with you some information and updates about the current COVID-19 pandemic.
First, here is what you can expect from us:
- We are taking every precaution to ensure the safety of our residents, businesses, and visitors of Union Grove and Yorkville and our members to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- All non-department activities have been cancelled and only members are allowed in the building. To follow social distancing guidelines, essential personnel are limiting their time at the station and/or working remotely, we have been diligent about keeping common surfaces cleaned and disinfected, handwashing and monitoring our members.
- We are utilizing the Halo Fogging System at Ascension Racine; this process decon’s our ambulances and prevents the spread of virus’ and other bacteria.
- Supplies and PPE are extremely limited so we are constantly monitoring various sources to see what’s available. We are a collection site for donation items such as N95 masks, disposable gloves, safety googles, and gowns, etc.
- If you call 911, the dispatchers will be screening callers for possible symptoms so we can properly use our PPE to keep you and our members safe. They may ask you to meet us outside/at your door, if possible. If we need to come into your home, we may send only one responder to perform an assessment.
- For people who have COVID-19 symptoms but are not critically ill with symptoms and distress, we may advise you to stay at home and seek medical care by calling your doctor instead of being transported to the emergency room. This is to decrease the exposure to yourself, medical staff and other patients.
- Family members will not be allowed to ride along with you if we need to transport. Hospital emergency rooms are also limiting and/or restricting visitors.
Second, here’s what you can do to help:
- Practice social distancing. Put at yourself at least 6’ from others.
- Stay home if you are sick,except to get medical care.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Remember – you are safer at home!
Here are some helpful sites to find more information about the virus, local resources, tips, prevention, etc:
- Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/
- Racine County Coronavirus Response Hub: https://coronavirus-response-racinecounty.hub.arcgis.com/
- Union Grove Strong – Helpful Links page: https://uniongrovestrong.com/helpful-links/
- UGYFD website: https://ugyfd.com/
- Our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/UnionGroveYorkvilleFireDepartment/
This is an uncertain time for everyone. I hope you and your families are taking every precaution to safe and healthy. Our world is changing rapidly but we will get through this together!
You can still reach us by calling the station non-emergency number, 262-878-4181.
If you have a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 and we will be there to help.