Chief’s Spring 2020 Message
Spring is arriving soon and your thoughts may be turning to that dreaded ritual of spring cleaning. With it comes a timely reminder to keep your home safe from the threat of fire. In an effort to make this “Spring Cleanup” a fire safe one, here are a few safety tips:
- Test your smoke alarms monthly.
- To help prevent nuisance alarms, gently vacuum your smoke alarm every six months or as needed.
- Change batteries in smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors.
- Never borrow smoke alarm batteries to use for toys or other equipment.
- Replace all smoke alarms at least every 10 years or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Keep outdoor debris or dead vegetation away from the house.
- Store gasoline in a shed or detached garage in an approved container and not in your home.
- Use outdoor barbecue grills with caution. Place in a safe area away from building, windows, heating ventilation and air conditioning units or places with high/dead vegetation.
- Keep all outdoor grills outside. Not under overhangs or balconies and away from combustibles.
- Check your propane barbecue grill hose for leaks and cracks; never store propane tanks indoors.
A follow up to our future planning, we are still working with both Villages on a plan for the future. In that plan, we are looking at a new fire station. We are currently in the first stages of this and are looking at what is required in a new fire station, what impact future growth will have on the department and site locations that would best serve both communities. There will be more information to follow.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook!